Copper sulphate (CuSO4) is used for whitewashing, agricultural and leather industry in India. Even a very small quantity is toxic. Toxicity is generally as a result of accidental ingestion or suicide attempts and leads to intravascular hemolysis, methemoglobinemia, renal failure, hepatotoxicity, rhabdomyolysis and often death. Mortality is quiet high in severe cases. We present a case of a 32 year old male who was hospitalized after copper sulphate ingestion and was diagnosed to have copper sulphate induced hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia along with acute renal failure.
|Journal||Internet Journal of Hematology|
|Publication status||Published - 31-07-2009|
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes