Gas geyser - A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning

T. S. Mohankumar, Tanuj Kanchan, K. S. Pinakini, Ritesh G. Menezes, Manisha Singh, Parmendra Sirohi, Naureen Anwar

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

4 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Carbon monoxide is responsible for a large number of accidental domestic poisoning and deaths throughout the world. Domestic carbon monoxide poisoning is rarely reported in India and remains an under recognized problem. The diagnosis of carbon monoxide poisoning is usually based on autopsy findings, circumstantial evidence and estimation of carboxy-haemoglobin in blood. We report a case of fatal accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in a bathroom where an LPG gas water heater was installed recently. Cherry pink discolouration of the body and organs on autopsy suggested carbon monoxide poisoning. Laboratory analysis of blood by UV visible spectrophotometry revealed presence of dangerous levels of carboxy-haemoglobin. Effective preventive measures can help in bringing down the mortality and morbidity associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)490-493
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Forensic and Legal Medicine
Volume19
Issue number8
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 01-11-2012
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
morbidity
mortality
Gases
India
death
water
cause
evidence
Autopsy
Hemoglobins
Toilet Facilities
Penicillin G Benzathine
Spectrophotometry
Carbon Monoxide
Poisoning
Morbidity
Mortality
Water

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Pathology and Forensic Medicine
  • Law

Cite this

Mohankumar, T. S., Kanchan, T., Pinakini, K. S., Menezes, R. G., Singh, M., Sirohi, P., & Anwar, N. (2012). Gas geyser - A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning. Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine, 19(8), 490-493. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2012.02.025
Mohankumar, T. S. ; Kanchan, Tanuj ; Pinakini, K. S. ; Menezes, Ritesh G. ; Singh, Manisha ; Sirohi, Parmendra ; Anwar, Naureen. / Gas geyser - A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning. In: Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine. 2012 ; Vol. 19, No. 8. pp. 490-493.
@article{4a799ac7c8164235a0f304f1f4cdd138,
title = "Gas geyser - A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning",
abstract = "Carbon monoxide is responsible for a large number of accidental domestic poisoning and deaths throughout the world. Domestic carbon monoxide poisoning is rarely reported in India and remains an under recognized problem. The diagnosis of carbon monoxide poisoning is usually based on autopsy findings, circumstantial evidence and estimation of carboxy-haemoglobin in blood. We report a case of fatal accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in a bathroom where an LPG gas water heater was installed recently. Cherry pink discolouration of the body and organs on autopsy suggested carbon monoxide poisoning. Laboratory analysis of blood by UV visible spectrophotometry revealed presence of dangerous levels of carboxy-haemoglobin. Effective preventive measures can help in bringing down the mortality and morbidity associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.",
author = "Mohankumar, {T. S.} and Tanuj Kanchan and Pinakini, {K. S.} and Menezes, {Ritesh G.} and Manisha Singh and Parmendra Sirohi and Naureen Anwar",
year = "2012",
month = "11",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.jflm.2012.02.025",
language = "English",
volume = "19",
pages = "490--493",
journal = "Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine",
issn = "1752-928X",
publisher = "Churchill Livingstone",
number = "8",

}

Mohankumar, TS, Kanchan, T, Pinakini, KS, Menezes, RG, Singh, M, Sirohi, P & Anwar, N 2012, 'Gas geyser - A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning', Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 490-493. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2012.02.025

Gas geyser - A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning. / Mohankumar, T. S.; Kanchan, Tanuj; Pinakini, K. S.; Menezes, Ritesh G.; Singh, Manisha; Sirohi, Parmendra; Anwar, Naureen.

In: Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine, Vol. 19, No. 8, 01.11.2012, p. 490-493.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Gas geyser - A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning

AU - Mohankumar, T. S.

AU - Kanchan, Tanuj

AU - Pinakini, K. S.

AU - Menezes, Ritesh G.

AU - Singh, Manisha

AU - Sirohi, Parmendra

AU - Anwar, Naureen

PY - 2012/11/1

Y1 - 2012/11/1

N2 - Carbon monoxide is responsible for a large number of accidental domestic poisoning and deaths throughout the world. Domestic carbon monoxide poisoning is rarely reported in India and remains an under recognized problem. The diagnosis of carbon monoxide poisoning is usually based on autopsy findings, circumstantial evidence and estimation of carboxy-haemoglobin in blood. We report a case of fatal accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in a bathroom where an LPG gas water heater was installed recently. Cherry pink discolouration of the body and organs on autopsy suggested carbon monoxide poisoning. Laboratory analysis of blood by UV visible spectrophotometry revealed presence of dangerous levels of carboxy-haemoglobin. Effective preventive measures can help in bringing down the mortality and morbidity associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.

AB - Carbon monoxide is responsible for a large number of accidental domestic poisoning and deaths throughout the world. Domestic carbon monoxide poisoning is rarely reported in India and remains an under recognized problem. The diagnosis of carbon monoxide poisoning is usually based on autopsy findings, circumstantial evidence and estimation of carboxy-haemoglobin in blood. We report a case of fatal accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in a bathroom where an LPG gas water heater was installed recently. Cherry pink discolouration of the body and organs on autopsy suggested carbon monoxide poisoning. Laboratory analysis of blood by UV visible spectrophotometry revealed presence of dangerous levels of carboxy-haemoglobin. Effective preventive measures can help in bringing down the mortality and morbidity associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84867686961&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84867686961&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.jflm.2012.02.025

DO - 10.1016/j.jflm.2012.02.025

M3 - Article

VL - 19

SP - 490

EP - 493

JO - Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine

JF - Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine

SN - 1752-928X

IS - 8

ER -

Mohankumar TS, Kanchan T, Pinakini KS, Menezes RG, Singh M, Sirohi P et al. Gas geyser - A cause of fatal domestic carbon monoxide poisoning. Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine. 2012 Nov 1;19(8):490-493. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2012.02.025