In vitro activity of recombinant lysostaphin in combination with linezolid, vancomycin and oxacillin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background and Objectives: The antimicrobial combination with synergistic mechanism is recommended to provide broad-spectrum coverage, and prevent the emergence of resistant mutants. In the present study, the synergistic activity of lysostaphin with linezolid, oxacillin and vancomycin, against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) clinical isolates was determined. Materials and Methods: Seventy-three MRSA isolates collected from clinical specimens were tested, for in vitro synergistic activity of lysostaphin with linezolid, vancomycin and oxacillin, by checkerboard assay. Results: Lysostaphin showed synergistic activity with linezolid and oxacillin, against all MRSA isolates, tested in the present study. Whereas, only 19.1% of the isolates showed synergistic activity with vancomycin and remaining 80.9% of the MRSA isolates showed additive activity. Conclusion: Lysostaphin causes rapid lysis of S. aureus. Combination therapies that include linezolid and lysostaphin could be used in life-threatening infections, such as endocarditis to increase the early in vivo activity of the antibiotics, and to prevent the emergence of linezolid resistant mutants. Further, in vivo studies are warranted to confirm our results.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)208-212
Number of pages5
JournalIranian Journal of Microbiology
Volume9
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - 01-08-2017

Fingerprint

Linezolid
Lysostaphin
Oxacillin
Vancomycin
Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus
Endocarditis
Staphylococcus aureus
In Vitro Techniques
Anti-Bacterial Agents

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Microbiology
  • Microbiology (medical)

Cite this

@article{9ee04b34afa24786806a03eeeef5e278,
title = "In vitro activity of recombinant lysostaphin in combination with linezolid, vancomycin and oxacillin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus",
abstract = "Background and Objectives: The antimicrobial combination with synergistic mechanism is recommended to provide broad-spectrum coverage, and prevent the emergence of resistant mutants. In the present study, the synergistic activity of lysostaphin with linezolid, oxacillin and vancomycin, against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) clinical isolates was determined. Materials and Methods: Seventy-three MRSA isolates collected from clinical specimens were tested, for in vitro synergistic activity of lysostaphin with linezolid, vancomycin and oxacillin, by checkerboard assay. Results: Lysostaphin showed synergistic activity with linezolid and oxacillin, against all MRSA isolates, tested in the present study. Whereas, only 19.1{\%} of the isolates showed synergistic activity with vancomycin and remaining 80.9{\%} of the MRSA isolates showed additive activity. Conclusion: Lysostaphin causes rapid lysis of S. aureus. Combination therapies that include linezolid and lysostaphin could be used in life-threatening infections, such as endocarditis to increase the early in vivo activity of the antibiotics, and to prevent the emergence of linezolid resistant mutants. Further, in vivo studies are warranted to confirm our results.",
author = "Nagalakshmi Narasimhaswamy and Indira Bairy and Gautham Shenoy and Laxminarayana Bairy",
year = "2017",
month = "8",
day = "1",
language = "English",
volume = "9",
pages = "208--212",
journal = "Iranian Journal of Microbiology",
issn = "2008-3289",
publisher = "Teheran University of Medical Sciences",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - In vitro activity of recombinant lysostaphin in combination with linezolid, vancomycin and oxacillin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus

AU - Narasimhaswamy, Nagalakshmi

AU - Bairy, Indira

AU - Shenoy, Gautham

AU - Bairy, Laxminarayana

PY - 2017/8/1

Y1 - 2017/8/1

N2 - Background and Objectives: The antimicrobial combination with synergistic mechanism is recommended to provide broad-spectrum coverage, and prevent the emergence of resistant mutants. In the present study, the synergistic activity of lysostaphin with linezolid, oxacillin and vancomycin, against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) clinical isolates was determined. Materials and Methods: Seventy-three MRSA isolates collected from clinical specimens were tested, for in vitro synergistic activity of lysostaphin with linezolid, vancomycin and oxacillin, by checkerboard assay. Results: Lysostaphin showed synergistic activity with linezolid and oxacillin, against all MRSA isolates, tested in the present study. Whereas, only 19.1% of the isolates showed synergistic activity with vancomycin and remaining 80.9% of the MRSA isolates showed additive activity. Conclusion: Lysostaphin causes rapid lysis of S. aureus. Combination therapies that include linezolid and lysostaphin could be used in life-threatening infections, such as endocarditis to increase the early in vivo activity of the antibiotics, and to prevent the emergence of linezolid resistant mutants. Further, in vivo studies are warranted to confirm our results.

AB - Background and Objectives: The antimicrobial combination with synergistic mechanism is recommended to provide broad-spectrum coverage, and prevent the emergence of resistant mutants. In the present study, the synergistic activity of lysostaphin with linezolid, oxacillin and vancomycin, against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) clinical isolates was determined. Materials and Methods: Seventy-three MRSA isolates collected from clinical specimens were tested, for in vitro synergistic activity of lysostaphin with linezolid, vancomycin and oxacillin, by checkerboard assay. Results: Lysostaphin showed synergistic activity with linezolid and oxacillin, against all MRSA isolates, tested in the present study. Whereas, only 19.1% of the isolates showed synergistic activity with vancomycin and remaining 80.9% of the MRSA isolates showed additive activity. Conclusion: Lysostaphin causes rapid lysis of S. aureus. Combination therapies that include linezolid and lysostaphin could be used in life-threatening infections, such as endocarditis to increase the early in vivo activity of the antibiotics, and to prevent the emergence of linezolid resistant mutants. Further, in vivo studies are warranted to confirm our results.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85034668138&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85034668138&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 9

SP - 208

EP - 212

JO - Iranian Journal of Microbiology

JF - Iranian Journal of Microbiology

SN - 2008-3289

IS - 4

ER -