Morphological and topographical study of Wormian bones in cadaver dry skulls

B. V. Murlimanju, L. V. Prabhu, C. M. Ashraf, Cg Kumar, R. Rai, C. Maheshwari

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

14 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Introduction: The Wormian bones are formations associated with insufficient rate of suture closure and regarded as epigenetic and hypostotic traits. It was reported that there exists racial variability among the incidence of these bones. In the present study, the aims were to find the incidence of Wormian bones in Indian skulls and to analyze them topographically. Material and methods: The study included 78 human adult dry skulls of Indian population which were obtained from the neuroanatomy laboratory of our institution. They were macroscopically observed for the incidence and topographical distribution of the Wormian bones. Results: The Wormian bones were observed in 57 skulls (73.1%) of our series. Remaining 21 skulls (26.9%) didn't show these variant bones. They were observed at the lambdoid suture in 56.4% cases (44 skulls; 14-bilateral; 18-right side; 12-left side), at the asterion in 17.9% (14 skulls; 3-bilateral; 2-right side; 9-left side), at the pterion in 11.5% (9 skulls; 4-right side; 5-left side), at the coronal suture in 1.3% (only one skull) and at the sagittal suture in 1.3% cases (only one skull). Conclusion: The current study observed Wormian bones in 73.1% of the cases from Indian population. This incidence rate is slightly higher compared to other reports and may be due to racial variations. These variant bones were more frequently seen at the lambdoid suture and were rare at the coronal and sagittal sutures. We believe that the knowledge of Wormian bones is of importance to the neuroanatomists, neurosurgeons, radiologists, anthropologists and morphologists.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)176-179
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Morphological Sciences
Volume28
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - 2011

Fingerprint

Cadaver
Skull
Bone and Bones
Sutures
Incidence
Neuroanatomy
Osteogenesis
Epigenomics
Population

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Anatomy
  • Histology
  • Cell Biology

Cite this

@article{9af475a809f84e6eb7fec36f3e253519,
title = "Morphological and topographical study of Wormian bones in cadaver dry skulls",
abstract = "Introduction: The Wormian bones are formations associated with insufficient rate of suture closure and regarded as epigenetic and hypostotic traits. It was reported that there exists racial variability among the incidence of these bones. In the present study, the aims were to find the incidence of Wormian bones in Indian skulls and to analyze them topographically. Material and methods: The study included 78 human adult dry skulls of Indian population which were obtained from the neuroanatomy laboratory of our institution. They were macroscopically observed for the incidence and topographical distribution of the Wormian bones. Results: The Wormian bones were observed in 57 skulls (73.1{\%}) of our series. Remaining 21 skulls (26.9{\%}) didn't show these variant bones. They were observed at the lambdoid suture in 56.4{\%} cases (44 skulls; 14-bilateral; 18-right side; 12-left side), at the asterion in 17.9{\%} (14 skulls; 3-bilateral; 2-right side; 9-left side), at the pterion in 11.5{\%} (9 skulls; 4-right side; 5-left side), at the coronal suture in 1.3{\%} (only one skull) and at the sagittal suture in 1.3{\%} cases (only one skull). Conclusion: The current study observed Wormian bones in 73.1{\%} of the cases from Indian population. This incidence rate is slightly higher compared to other reports and may be due to racial variations. These variant bones were more frequently seen at the lambdoid suture and were rare at the coronal and sagittal sutures. We believe that the knowledge of Wormian bones is of importance to the neuroanatomists, neurosurgeons, radiologists, anthropologists and morphologists.",
author = "Murlimanju, {B. V.} and Prabhu, {L. V.} and Ashraf, {C. M.} and Cg Kumar and R. Rai and C. Maheshwari",
year = "2011",
language = "English",
volume = "28",
pages = "176--179",
journal = "Journal of Morphological Sciences",
issn = "0102-9010",
publisher = "Brazilian Society of Anatomy",
number = "3",

}

Morphological and topographical study of Wormian bones in cadaver dry skulls. / Murlimanju, B. V.; Prabhu, L. V.; Ashraf, C. M.; Kumar, Cg; Rai, R.; Maheshwari, C.

In: Journal of Morphological Sciences, Vol. 28, No. 3, 2011, p. 176-179.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Morphological and topographical study of Wormian bones in cadaver dry skulls

AU - Murlimanju, B. V.

AU - Prabhu, L. V.

AU - Ashraf, C. M.

AU - Kumar, Cg

AU - Rai, R.

AU - Maheshwari, C.

PY - 2011

Y1 - 2011

N2 - Introduction: The Wormian bones are formations associated with insufficient rate of suture closure and regarded as epigenetic and hypostotic traits. It was reported that there exists racial variability among the incidence of these bones. In the present study, the aims were to find the incidence of Wormian bones in Indian skulls and to analyze them topographically. Material and methods: The study included 78 human adult dry skulls of Indian population which were obtained from the neuroanatomy laboratory of our institution. They were macroscopically observed for the incidence and topographical distribution of the Wormian bones. Results: The Wormian bones were observed in 57 skulls (73.1%) of our series. Remaining 21 skulls (26.9%) didn't show these variant bones. They were observed at the lambdoid suture in 56.4% cases (44 skulls; 14-bilateral; 18-right side; 12-left side), at the asterion in 17.9% (14 skulls; 3-bilateral; 2-right side; 9-left side), at the pterion in 11.5% (9 skulls; 4-right side; 5-left side), at the coronal suture in 1.3% (only one skull) and at the sagittal suture in 1.3% cases (only one skull). Conclusion: The current study observed Wormian bones in 73.1% of the cases from Indian population. This incidence rate is slightly higher compared to other reports and may be due to racial variations. These variant bones were more frequently seen at the lambdoid suture and were rare at the coronal and sagittal sutures. We believe that the knowledge of Wormian bones is of importance to the neuroanatomists, neurosurgeons, radiologists, anthropologists and morphologists.

AB - Introduction: The Wormian bones are formations associated with insufficient rate of suture closure and regarded as epigenetic and hypostotic traits. It was reported that there exists racial variability among the incidence of these bones. In the present study, the aims were to find the incidence of Wormian bones in Indian skulls and to analyze them topographically. Material and methods: The study included 78 human adult dry skulls of Indian population which were obtained from the neuroanatomy laboratory of our institution. They were macroscopically observed for the incidence and topographical distribution of the Wormian bones. Results: The Wormian bones were observed in 57 skulls (73.1%) of our series. Remaining 21 skulls (26.9%) didn't show these variant bones. They were observed at the lambdoid suture in 56.4% cases (44 skulls; 14-bilateral; 18-right side; 12-left side), at the asterion in 17.9% (14 skulls; 3-bilateral; 2-right side; 9-left side), at the pterion in 11.5% (9 skulls; 4-right side; 5-left side), at the coronal suture in 1.3% (only one skull) and at the sagittal suture in 1.3% cases (only one skull). Conclusion: The current study observed Wormian bones in 73.1% of the cases from Indian population. This incidence rate is slightly higher compared to other reports and may be due to racial variations. These variant bones were more frequently seen at the lambdoid suture and were rare at the coronal and sagittal sutures. We believe that the knowledge of Wormian bones is of importance to the neuroanatomists, neurosurgeons, radiologists, anthropologists and morphologists.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=80053644438&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=80053644438&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 28

SP - 176

EP - 179

JO - Journal of Morphological Sciences

JF - Journal of Morphological Sciences

SN - 0102-9010

IS - 3

ER -