Prospective randomized study comparing the standard weight-based method and a novel method based on combined width of index, middle and ring fingers for proseal laryngeal mask airway size selection in paediatric patients

Shaji Mathew, Yogesh Kanta Gaude, Sahana Hiriyanna, Arun Kumar Handigodu Duggappa, Shiyad Muhamed, Ajith Kumar Pillai

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Introduction: Appropriate size selection of ProSeal laryngeal mask airway (PLMA) is an important prerequisite for successful use of the device. Size of PLMA is often selected based on weight of patients. We aimed to determine whether combined width of patient’s index, middle and ring fingers could be used as an alternative to weight-based selection of appropriate size of PLMA. Materials and methods: In this prospective randomized study, 102 patients aged 6 months to 10 years were included. Patients were allocated to one of two groups based on a randomization table and PLMA inserted according to the group allocated. In Group S, PLMA size selected according to weight-based method whereas in Group N, PLMA size was selected based on 3-finger breadth of patients. We recorded insertion parameters, fiberoptic scoring of glottic visualisation, airway manipulations and postoperative complications. Results: In 68 children (66.66%) size of PLMA was same according to both methods. The kappa coefficient was 0.461 concluding moderate agreement between two methods. In the remaining 34 children (33.34%), the disagreement in sizes were with only one size, in whom the patient’s weights were borderline values. The PLMA insertion time, ease of insertion, insertion attempts, fiberoptic view of position of device were comparable in both groups. There were no significant complications in the postoperative period. Conclusion: Three finger breadth sizing method can be used as a good alternative to weight-based method for selecting appropriate size of PLMA in children.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)118-123
Number of pages6
JournalSri Lankan Journal of Anaesthesiology
Volume26
Issue number2
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 01-01-2018

Fingerprint

Laryngeal Masks
Fingers
Prospective Studies
Pediatrics
Weights and Measures
Equipment and Supplies
Random Allocation
Tongue
Postoperative Period

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine

Cite this

Mathew, Shaji ; Gaude, Yogesh Kanta ; Hiriyanna, Sahana ; Duggappa, Arun Kumar Handigodu ; Muhamed, Shiyad ; Pillai, Ajith Kumar. / Prospective randomized study comparing the standard weight-based method and a novel method based on combined width of index, middle and ring fingers for proseal laryngeal mask airway size selection in paediatric patients. In: Sri Lankan Journal of Anaesthesiology. 2018 ; Vol. 26, No. 2. pp. 118-123.
@article{297cd52181c74a94bcd84ab978c7486c,
title = "Prospective randomized study comparing the standard weight-based method and a novel method based on combined width of index, middle and ring fingers for proseal laryngeal mask airway size selection in paediatric patients",
abstract = "Introduction: Appropriate size selection of ProSeal laryngeal mask airway (PLMA) is an important prerequisite for successful use of the device. Size of PLMA is often selected based on weight of patients. We aimed to determine whether combined width of patient’s index, middle and ring fingers could be used as an alternative to weight-based selection of appropriate size of PLMA. Materials and methods: In this prospective randomized study, 102 patients aged 6 months to 10 years were included. Patients were allocated to one of two groups based on a randomization table and PLMA inserted according to the group allocated. In Group S, PLMA size selected according to weight-based method whereas in Group N, PLMA size was selected based on 3-finger breadth of patients. We recorded insertion parameters, fiberoptic scoring of glottic visualisation, airway manipulations and postoperative complications. Results: In 68 children (66.66{\%}) size of PLMA was same according to both methods. The kappa coefficient was 0.461 concluding moderate agreement between two methods. In the remaining 34 children (33.34{\%}), the disagreement in sizes were with only one size, in whom the patient’s weights were borderline values. The PLMA insertion time, ease of insertion, insertion attempts, fiberoptic view of position of device were comparable in both groups. There were no significant complications in the postoperative period. Conclusion: Three finger breadth sizing method can be used as a good alternative to weight-based method for selecting appropriate size of PLMA in children.",
author = "Shaji Mathew and Gaude, {Yogesh Kanta} and Sahana Hiriyanna and Duggappa, {Arun Kumar Handigodu} and Shiyad Muhamed and Pillai, {Ajith Kumar}",
year = "2018",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.4038/slja.v26i2.8320",
language = "English",
volume = "26",
pages = "118--123",
journal = "Sri Lankan Journal of Anaesthesiology",
issn = "1391-8834",
publisher = "College Of Anaesthesiologists Of Sri Lanka",
number = "2",

}

Prospective randomized study comparing the standard weight-based method and a novel method based on combined width of index, middle and ring fingers for proseal laryngeal mask airway size selection in paediatric patients. / Mathew, Shaji; Gaude, Yogesh Kanta; Hiriyanna, Sahana; Duggappa, Arun Kumar Handigodu; Muhamed, Shiyad; Pillai, Ajith Kumar.

In: Sri Lankan Journal of Anaesthesiology, Vol. 26, No. 2, 01.01.2018, p. 118-123.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Prospective randomized study comparing the standard weight-based method and a novel method based on combined width of index, middle and ring fingers for proseal laryngeal mask airway size selection in paediatric patients

AU - Mathew, Shaji

AU - Gaude, Yogesh Kanta

AU - Hiriyanna, Sahana

AU - Duggappa, Arun Kumar Handigodu

AU - Muhamed, Shiyad

AU - Pillai, Ajith Kumar

PY - 2018/1/1

Y1 - 2018/1/1

N2 - Introduction: Appropriate size selection of ProSeal laryngeal mask airway (PLMA) is an important prerequisite for successful use of the device. Size of PLMA is often selected based on weight of patients. We aimed to determine whether combined width of patient’s index, middle and ring fingers could be used as an alternative to weight-based selection of appropriate size of PLMA. Materials and methods: In this prospective randomized study, 102 patients aged 6 months to 10 years were included. Patients were allocated to one of two groups based on a randomization table and PLMA inserted according to the group allocated. In Group S, PLMA size selected according to weight-based method whereas in Group N, PLMA size was selected based on 3-finger breadth of patients. We recorded insertion parameters, fiberoptic scoring of glottic visualisation, airway manipulations and postoperative complications. Results: In 68 children (66.66%) size of PLMA was same according to both methods. The kappa coefficient was 0.461 concluding moderate agreement between two methods. In the remaining 34 children (33.34%), the disagreement in sizes were with only one size, in whom the patient’s weights were borderline values. The PLMA insertion time, ease of insertion, insertion attempts, fiberoptic view of position of device were comparable in both groups. There were no significant complications in the postoperative period. Conclusion: Three finger breadth sizing method can be used as a good alternative to weight-based method for selecting appropriate size of PLMA in children.

AB - Introduction: Appropriate size selection of ProSeal laryngeal mask airway (PLMA) is an important prerequisite for successful use of the device. Size of PLMA is often selected based on weight of patients. We aimed to determine whether combined width of patient’s index, middle and ring fingers could be used as an alternative to weight-based selection of appropriate size of PLMA. Materials and methods: In this prospective randomized study, 102 patients aged 6 months to 10 years were included. Patients were allocated to one of two groups based on a randomization table and PLMA inserted according to the group allocated. In Group S, PLMA size selected according to weight-based method whereas in Group N, PLMA size was selected based on 3-finger breadth of patients. We recorded insertion parameters, fiberoptic scoring of glottic visualisation, airway manipulations and postoperative complications. Results: In 68 children (66.66%) size of PLMA was same according to both methods. The kappa coefficient was 0.461 concluding moderate agreement between two methods. In the remaining 34 children (33.34%), the disagreement in sizes were with only one size, in whom the patient’s weights were borderline values. The PLMA insertion time, ease of insertion, insertion attempts, fiberoptic view of position of device were comparable in both groups. There were no significant complications in the postoperative period. Conclusion: Three finger breadth sizing method can be used as a good alternative to weight-based method for selecting appropriate size of PLMA in children.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85050311498&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85050311498&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.4038/slja.v26i2.8320

DO - 10.4038/slja.v26i2.8320

M3 - Article

VL - 26

SP - 118

EP - 123

JO - Sri Lankan Journal of Anaesthesiology

JF - Sri Lankan Journal of Anaesthesiology

SN - 1391-8834

IS - 2

ER -