Variations in the pulmonary venous ostium in the left atrium and its clinical importance

L. C. Prasanna, R. Praveena, A. S. D'Souza, Kumar M R Bhat

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

11 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Introduction: During early embryonic development, absorption of pulmonary venous network by the left primitive atrial chamber results in opening of four pulmonary veins which drain independently into its chamber. The extent of absorption and hence, the number of pulmonary veins which open into the left atrium, may vary. As only few studies have been done, which have shown such variations, the present study was done to evaluate the possible variations in the pulmonary veins which opened into the left atrium. Materials and Methods: Fifty formalin fixed adult cadaveric hearts were studied for variations in the opening of the pulmonary veins into left atrium. Results: Our results showed that 68% of the hearts which were studied, showed usual pattern of 2 pulmonary veins on either side, while remaining 32 % hearts showed variations in the number of pulmonary veins which opened. 12% of the hearts showed 2 left and 3 right pulmonary veins, 14% of hearts showed 2 left and 1 right veins, 4% hearts showed 1 left and 2 right veins and 2% hearts showed 1 left and 4 right pulmonary veins opening into the left atrium. Conclusion: Knowledge on such variations gains significance in isolation for radiofrequency ablation as a treatment for atrial fibrillation.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)10-11
Number of pages2
JournalJournal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research
Volume8
Issue number2
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 03-02-2014

Fingerprint

Pulmonary Veins
Heart Atria
Lung
Veins
Ablation
Formaldehyde
Atrial Fibrillation
Embryonic Development

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Medicine(all)
  • Clinical Biochemistry

Cite this

@article{c058b50f2c1644d4ac04d1ae7e067faf,
title = "Variations in the pulmonary venous ostium in the left atrium and its clinical importance",
abstract = "Introduction: During early embryonic development, absorption of pulmonary venous network by the left primitive atrial chamber results in opening of four pulmonary veins which drain independently into its chamber. The extent of absorption and hence, the number of pulmonary veins which open into the left atrium, may vary. As only few studies have been done, which have shown such variations, the present study was done to evaluate the possible variations in the pulmonary veins which opened into the left atrium. Materials and Methods: Fifty formalin fixed adult cadaveric hearts were studied for variations in the opening of the pulmonary veins into left atrium. Results: Our results showed that 68{\%} of the hearts which were studied, showed usual pattern of 2 pulmonary veins on either side, while remaining 32 {\%} hearts showed variations in the number of pulmonary veins which opened. 12{\%} of the hearts showed 2 left and 3 right pulmonary veins, 14{\%} of hearts showed 2 left and 1 right veins, 4{\%} hearts showed 1 left and 2 right veins and 2{\%} hearts showed 1 left and 4 right pulmonary veins opening into the left atrium. Conclusion: Knowledge on such variations gains significance in isolation for radiofrequency ablation as a treatment for atrial fibrillation.",
author = "Prasanna, {L. C.} and R. Praveena and D'Souza, {A. S.} and Bhat, {Kumar M R}",
year = "2014",
month = "2",
day = "3",
doi = "10.7860/JCDR/2014/7649.3992",
language = "English",
volume = "8",
pages = "10--11",
journal = "Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research",
issn = "2249-782X",
publisher = "Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research",
number = "2",

}

Variations in the pulmonary venous ostium in the left atrium and its clinical importance. / Prasanna, L. C.; Praveena, R.; D'Souza, A. S.; Bhat, Kumar M R.

In: Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, Vol. 8, No. 2, 03.02.2014, p. 10-11.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Variations in the pulmonary venous ostium in the left atrium and its clinical importance

AU - Prasanna, L. C.

AU - Praveena, R.

AU - D'Souza, A. S.

AU - Bhat, Kumar M R

PY - 2014/2/3

Y1 - 2014/2/3

N2 - Introduction: During early embryonic development, absorption of pulmonary venous network by the left primitive atrial chamber results in opening of four pulmonary veins which drain independently into its chamber. The extent of absorption and hence, the number of pulmonary veins which open into the left atrium, may vary. As only few studies have been done, which have shown such variations, the present study was done to evaluate the possible variations in the pulmonary veins which opened into the left atrium. Materials and Methods: Fifty formalin fixed adult cadaveric hearts were studied for variations in the opening of the pulmonary veins into left atrium. Results: Our results showed that 68% of the hearts which were studied, showed usual pattern of 2 pulmonary veins on either side, while remaining 32 % hearts showed variations in the number of pulmonary veins which opened. 12% of the hearts showed 2 left and 3 right pulmonary veins, 14% of hearts showed 2 left and 1 right veins, 4% hearts showed 1 left and 2 right veins and 2% hearts showed 1 left and 4 right pulmonary veins opening into the left atrium. Conclusion: Knowledge on such variations gains significance in isolation for radiofrequency ablation as a treatment for atrial fibrillation.

AB - Introduction: During early embryonic development, absorption of pulmonary venous network by the left primitive atrial chamber results in opening of four pulmonary veins which drain independently into its chamber. The extent of absorption and hence, the number of pulmonary veins which open into the left atrium, may vary. As only few studies have been done, which have shown such variations, the present study was done to evaluate the possible variations in the pulmonary veins which opened into the left atrium. Materials and Methods: Fifty formalin fixed adult cadaveric hearts were studied for variations in the opening of the pulmonary veins into left atrium. Results: Our results showed that 68% of the hearts which were studied, showed usual pattern of 2 pulmonary veins on either side, while remaining 32 % hearts showed variations in the number of pulmonary veins which opened. 12% of the hearts showed 2 left and 3 right pulmonary veins, 14% of hearts showed 2 left and 1 right veins, 4% hearts showed 1 left and 2 right veins and 2% hearts showed 1 left and 4 right pulmonary veins opening into the left atrium. Conclusion: Knowledge on such variations gains significance in isolation for radiofrequency ablation as a treatment for atrial fibrillation.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84893490825&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84893490825&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.7860/JCDR/2014/7649.3992

DO - 10.7860/JCDR/2014/7649.3992

M3 - Article

VL - 8

SP - 10

EP - 11

JO - Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research

JF - Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research

SN - 2249-782X

IS - 2

ER -